CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LONG BEACH
COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS
DEPARTMENT OF SOCIOLOGY
Tenure-Track Position Opening
RECRUITMENT NUMBER: 2091
POSITION: Assistant Professor Sociology (Sociology of Youth)
EFFECTIVE DATE: August 18, 2014 (Fall semester)
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
* Ph.D. in Sociology or related discipline at time of appointment.
* Academic expertise in the areas of Sociology of Youth, with a focus on one or more
of the following:schools and other community institutions, gangs and community
violence, youth identities, youth-based social movements, youth and health
disparities, youth of color, criminalization of youth, youth and justice, youth
and social policies.
* Demonstrated potential for successful college level teaching.
* Demonstrated potential for continuing development of research program in the areas described.
* Commitment to and/or expertise in educating a diverse student population.
* Evidence of scholarship and successful teaching with a focus on Sociology of Youth.
* Ability to mentor students and supervise student research.
* Evidence of service in an academic institution or the community.
* Teach existing courses such as Social Problems; Race, Class and Gender; Sociology
of the Family; Juvenile Delinquency; Criminology; and Child Abuse and Prevention.
* Develop potential courses in Gangs and Community Violence, Youth Identities and
Social Movements, Youth and Justice, and in applicantâ€™s area(s) of expertise.
* Engage in ongoing research, scholarly and creative activity.
* Participate in department, college, university, and community service.
* Assist in mentoring students. Supervise student research projects.
* Participate in departmental governance and service to the department,
college, university, and community.
* Develop curricula and programs to meet the needs of a diverse student body.
The Department of Sociology at California State University, Long Beach is committed
to building a more diverse faculty, staff, and student body as it responds to the
changing population and educational needs of California and the nation. We seek
applicants and nominations from those who have experience teaching, mentoring, and
developing research in ways that effectively address individuals from historically
underrepresented backgrounds. California State University, Long Beach is an
affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION: Letter of application addressing the minimum and
desired/preferred qualifications including an in-depth description of research and
teaching interests and qualifications; samples of relevant materials (teaching
materials, evaluations, research papers or publications, etc.); a curriculum vitae
(including current e-mail address); three recent letters of recommendation; and a
copy of the transcript from the institution awarding highest degree. Finalists will
be required to submit an official transcript and a signed SC-1 form.
All applications and required documentation should be emailed through:
Recruitment Number 2091
Requests for information, official transcript, and signed SC-1 form should be addressed to:
Carole Campbell, Co-Chair
California State University, Long Beach
Department of Sociology
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840-0906
Telephone number: (562) 985-4602
Email address: Carole.Campbell@csulb.edu
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Position open until filled (or recruitment canceled). Review
of applications to begin on December 2, 2013. In addition to meeting its obligations
under federal and state law, CSULB is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to
creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live and work in an
atmosphere of tolerance, civility, and respect for the rights and sensibilities of