|Notice: Interested candidates should apply on line at: https://northcentralcollege.peopleadmin.com/postings/3060|
North Central College seeks a senior faculty member in electrical or mechanical engineering to develop a new engineering program within the College of Arts and Sciences, housed in our forthcoming state-of-the art science center. Residency will begin July 1, 2017, though consulting will be expected to begin immediately upon appointment. Eligibility of rank (Associate or Professor) will depend on the background and experience of the candidate.
The successful candidate will:
• Hold a terminal degree (Ph.D.) in Engineering;
• Demonstrate an impressive record of scholarly or professional accomplishments with clear plans for continued growth;
• Have experience in the Engineering industry;
• Possess a deep commitment to offering undergraduate Engineering with a strong liberal arts foundation;
• Be enthusiastic about developing meaningful connections with local and regional industry partners;
• Be collegial;
• Have an openness to considering emerging pedagogies and technologies; and
• Possess a desire to infuse in students a thirst for ethically grounded, socially just, and environmentally responsible approaches to Engineering.
• Experience with ABET, a record of excellence in teaching and mentoring, and a demonstrated record of administrative experience are highly desirable.
Responsibilities will include:
• Development of curricula;
• Establishing potential industry partners in the Chicagoland area;
• Recruiting students to the program;
• Recruiting and hiring faculty into the program;
• Teaching courses in the program;
• Continuing with an active, fruitful research agenda; and
• Beginning September 1, 2019 serving as department chairperson, which includes:
o providing ongoing leadership and management of the program;
o hiring faculty (including part-time and half-time faculty);
o mentoring new faculty;
o evaluating faculty;
o managing budget;
o overseeing curriculum/course scheduling;
o assessing learning outcomes;
o participating as a member of the College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Council.
Founded in 1861, North Central College is a selective, comprehensive liberal arts institution of about 3000 students, located 28 miles west of Chicago in Naperville. The college is within walking distance of the Naperville Metra station and is next to downtown Naperville. The Naperville area is home to many excellent school districts and Naperville, IL has been ranked as one of the best places to live by Money magazine. For more information, please visit: http://www.noctrl.edu North Central College is an EEO Employer.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter that includes a vision for a new program in engineering (with solid grounding in the liberal arts), curriculum vitae.
Teaching philosophy, statement of research interests, and a list of three references are optional for the initial application, and will be requested if the candidate is selected for later stages of the search. References will not be called without the express consent of the candidate (to be solicited prior to on-campus interviews).
For further information, please email Dr. Sun-Il Kim, Search Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.