|Position ID:||Cornell-CLASSEPhysics-RARUBIN [#8763, Rubin]|
|Position Title:||Accelerator Scientist (Research Associate)|
|Position Location:||Ithaca, New York 14853, United States [map]|
|Subject Areas:||Physics / Experimental Physics, Accelerator and Beam Physics|
|Appl Deadline:||2017/04/30 (posted 2017/01/03, listed until 2017/07/03)|
Cornell Laboratory for Accelerator Sciences and Education
The Cornell Laboratory for Accelerator-based Sciences and Education (CLASSE) has openings for accelerator scientists for projects including: (1) design, construction and commissioning of a multiturn energy recovery linac (ERL) with FFAG optics, (2) upgrade of the 5 GeV storage ring for single beam operation with undulators as a source of hard xrays, (3) high brightness electron sources, (4) and development of instrumentation and beam physics experiments with the CESR Test Accelerator (CesrTA). The successful candidate will contribute to one or more of these activities by developing beam optics, accelerator equipment or beam instrumentation, and participating in commissioning and operations. CLASSE is a world leader in accelerator science and its applications.
• PhD in physics or engineering, with a background in one or more of the following: electrodynamics; high power RF technology and sources; electron beam physics; beam instrumentation;
• Demonstrated experience with experimental systems;
• Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills;
• Ability to direct technical support personnel;
• Experience working successfully as part of a team in a collaborative and multidisciplinary scientific environment;
• Familiarity or ability to quickly learn safety practices relevant to radiation generating devices.
The initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of extension.
Applications should be submitted at https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/8763 and should include a cover letter, a CV, a list of publications, a detailed summary of research experience and interests. Applicants must arrange to have at least three letters of recommendation uploaded, as per instructions on the academicjobsonline website. The starting date is negotiable.